Let’s talk about your mindset. If you have ever been told you are negative then this article is for you. Would you say you are a negative person or positive? Which one do you gradually gravitate to? In this article I am going to discuss with you what causes negativity, how it can affect your life, and how to make the mental shift from negative to positive.
Now picture this…
A big glass goblet filled to the halfway mark with water. How do you see it—half-full or half-empty?
Consistently finding the glass half-empty—and the world as a difficult place— is a hallmark of negativity.
What causes negativity?
Did you know that whether you are a positive or negative person is formed when you are a child? If you grew up in a negative environment where there was judging, doom & gloom, complaining, and constant critique then chances are you yourself have become that way or are prone to being a Negative Nancy. When you grow up in that type of environment then that becomes your norm. You might think it is normal to judge every person that comes along and find the fault in everything BUT that mindset will not serve you! So let’s get to…
How being negative can affect your life
Did you know that where your thoughts naturally gravitate towards is a HUGE factor in the health of your relationships, friendships, job, immune health, and your over all well being?
Research has found that a negative outlook can contribute to everything from depression to heart disease to lowered immune system function. It can affect sleep, weight maintenance, the quality of your relationships, your social life, and even your ability to hold a job. It can actually become depressing!
I have to be honest here, I use to be SO negative! Yes me, the Nutritionist and Health Coach!
I even got offended if I was told I was negative! Doesn’t that prove how negative I was? Once I realized I was negative I had to make the mental shift. Once I made the mental shift and truly overcame being negative I then REALIZED how much being negative was HURTING me.
Now imagine what it would feel like to approach life from a place of positivity, fun, connection, health, and possibility. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
8 Simple Tips to Make a Positive Switch
- Notice the negative thoughts when they come, let them pass, and replace with a positive one. Easier said than done? Yes. This is the hardest step but necessary in order to make the shift. The more you do this the easier being positive will become for you.
- Go complaint-free. Try going an hour without complaining and see the positive things in your life. Next, try a day, a week, and so on. (warning: your tongue might hurt from biting it)
- Keep a gratitude journal. Each evening, list 10 or more things that you are grateful for. I do this mentally upon waking and again anytime I am getting sucked into the negative black hole.
- Give compliments freely. Notice the good in others. Praise every person you interact with. Remember, you never know what another person is dealing with and how your 1 compliment could change their day.
- Find beauty everywhere in your world. Notice its gorgeousness. Get outside to enjoy nature and you realize it is hard to complain when soaking in God’s blessings.
- Share your good news. Studies show that sharing happy events brings even more happiness. So stop worrying about what others think and share!
- Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want.
- Don’t be hard on yourself for having a bad day! Look, it is natural to have a bad day or moment, we ALL do! so, when this happens give yourself grace and don’t beat yourself up. Positive people have bad days but the point here is to not have most of your days bad.
Maintaining a positive outlook takes practice, and the more you do it, the easier it gets. The payoff—a happier, healthier life—is absolutely worth the effort.
Be Prepared For…
The one thing I was not prepared for when going through this myself and overcoming a negative, critical, judgmental attitude was the fact that I then noticed the negative people around me! Yes! You don’t realize how negative those around you are UNTIL YOU are no longer that way! It was actually hard at first to be around negativity and that showed me how others probably felt around me.
Be patient. Be patient with yourself AND give others patience to adjust to your new positive outlook because it will take time for those that see you as Negative Nancy to learn the new you is here to stay!
Lastly, I think it is important to gently teach those around you that are negative HOW to be positive. They might have resentment towards you at first because they lost their complaining buddy so be patient with them and let them see how much better your life is for the positive changes you have made and just maybe they will do the same!
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
Want to learn how to make positive choices in your own life? Want support in creating your healthiest, happiest life ever? Let’s talk! Schedule a complimentary health coaching consultation with me today—or pass this offer on to someone you care about! Let’s talk! Schedule a free Discovery Session with me today—or pass this offer on to someone you care about!